West Hartford is located in central Connecticut adjacent to and west of the City of Hartford, the state capital. Immediate neighboring towns are Bloomfield, Newington, Farmington and Avon. West Hartford is approximately 100 miles southwest of Boston and 100 miles northeast of New York City. Direct access to Interstate 84 (east / west) is available with Interstate 91 (north / south) just a few miles east.
The Town encompasses 22.2 square miles (14,080 acres) and has a population of 62,000 (2010 Census). West Hartford is a residential suburb of the Hartford metropolitan area. There are 205 miles of accepted streets and 245 miles of sidewalks in town. The highest point in town is 778 feet above sea level on Talcott (Avon) Mountain. Altitude at Town Hall is 120 feet.
West Hartford was settled in 1679. The town was known as the West Division of the City of Hartford until its incorporation in May 3, 1854 when it became West Hartford.
The town has operated under a Council-Manager form of government since 1919. West Hartford was the first towns in the state and one of the first in the country to adopt this form of government where the council acts as the elected policy board and the town manager serves as the chief executive officer responsible for carrying out the policies of the council. All town council members are volunteers and do not get paid for this service to their community.
The West Hartford Public School district there are 11 elementary, three middle, and two high schools. In addition there are ten private and parochial schools, including elementary through high schools. Our higher learning centers include the University of Hartford, 200 Bloomfield Avenue; the University of St. Joseph, 1800 Asylum Avenue; and the University of Connecticut's School of Social Work, 1798 Asylum Avenue.
West Hartford has wonderful public recreation areas including two municipal golf courses, Rockledge Golf Club (18 holes) and Buena Vista Golf Course (nine holes); indoor Veterans Memorial Skating Rink; two indoor pools at Cornerstone Aquatics Center, and four outdoor pools at Fernridge, Beachland, Eisenhower and Kennedy parks; six public parks, the three mentioned and Wolcott Park. As well as Westmoor Park, an educational environmental demonstration farm. There are two active senior centers, Elmwood Senior Center located at Elmwood Community Center, 1106 New Britain Avenue; West Hartford Senior Center located at 15 Starkel Road.
There are three public libraries. The Noah Webster Library (Main Library), 20 South Main Street; Julia Faxon Branch, 1073 New Britain Avenue; Bishop's Corner Branch, 15 Starkel Road.
The Police Department is located at 103 Raymond Road. The Fire Department, located at 95 Raymond Road, has eight firefighting apparatus located at five fire stations throughout the town on Brace Road in the Center; on Prospect Avenue; on Berkshire Road; on Albany Avenue; and on New Britain Avenue. Ambulance and paramedic services are provided on a contract basis between the town and a private ambulance service.
The town offers weekly refuse and recycling collection services and special collections throughout the year.
West Hartford has 32 places to worship: seven Catholic, nine Jewish, and 16 Protestant.
There are five ZIP codes: 06107 (generally, Center area and west of Trout Brook Drive); 06110 (generally, Elmwood area, southeast and southwest quadrants of town); 06117 (generally, Bishops Corner area, northeast and northwest quadrants of town); 06119 (generally, easterly and central area from Trout Brook east to Prospect Avenue.)
While there are no hospitals in West Hartford there are three medical centers in the adjoining towns. St. Francis Hospital & Medical Center and Hartford Hospital are located in Hartford, CT and the University of Connecticut Health Center is located in Farmington.
Features and Landmarks:
Metropolitan District Reservoirs, totaling 2,000 acres of undeveloped land with trails and walks, are located on Farmington Avenue, west of the Center, and on Albany Avenue, west of Bishops Corner. Spicebush Swamp on Mountain Road is a nature preserve, and Westmoor Park on Flagg Road, provides nature walks and a farm environment with farm animals particularly attractive to children. There are many brooks and several small pocket parks in town, as well as a marked bicycle trail. Several old homes dating to early colonial times are in town, privately owned. The Sarah Whitman Hooker House and the Noah Webster House are public facilities operated by non-profit groups. The Noah Webster Foundation and West Hartford Historical Society are located at the Noah Webster House, 227 South Main Street. The Hooker House, a Revolutionary War inn, is located on New Britain Avenue just east of South Main Street.
The Town Council has appointed both a Historic District Commission and an Architectural Heritage Committee which placed historic markers at several sites throughout town commemorating West Hartford's long history. The Historic District Commission has established three historic districts in West Hartford under state statute, celebrating their historic and architectural significance: Buena Vista, Boulevard and West Hill. For more information concerning the town and its ordinances or history, please call or contact the Town Clerk at (860) 561-7430, at Town Hall.