Jun 11, 2012 :
Final Spring Yard Waste collection held week of June 11
DPW crews will make a final pass of all West Hartford residential neighborhoods during the week of June 11-15. Yard waste is collected on your regular scheduled Refuse Collection day.
Excessive volume or inclement weather may cause a delay in collection. Typical delay is one day.
Residents should place their 30-gallon biodegradable paper bags at the curb, separate from their trash, by 6:00 AM on their refuse collection day. Branches up to 4 inches in diameter and up to 4 feet in length will be accepted also if bundled with organic twine, since the branches are recycled into wood chips. Bundles contaminated with wire, nylon, plastic twine or greater than 50 lbs. will not be collected.
“Yard Waste” is defined as leaves, pine needles, pine cones, acorns, twigs, dead plant matter from last year’s annuals and perennials and thatch. It does not include: soil, rocks or grass clippings. Yard waste bags contaminated with these items will be marked with an ‘X’ and will no longer be eligible for curbside collection.
Residents may also bring their bags with yard waste to the Recycling Center located at 25 Brixton Street, West Hartford. Plastic bags containing yard waste must be emptied in the designated area because plastic bags are not recyclable. Recycling Center hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM, and on Saturdays: from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
Who is eligible for curbside spring yard waste collection?
Only residential properties receiving West Hartford refuse and recycling collection
Presenting Spring Yard Waste for Collection
- Residents should place their 30-gallon biodegradable paper bags at the curb, separate from their trash, by 6:00 AM on their refuse collection day.
- Bags and bundled material must be 4 feet or less in length and weigh no more than 60 pounds.
- Branches and Brush up to 4 inches in diameter and up to 4 feet in length will be accepted only if they are bundled with organic twine.
- Bundles tied with wire, nylon or plastic twine will not be collected.
- Yard waste bags contaminated with soil, rocks or grass clippings will be marked with an ‘X’ and will no longer be eligible for curbside collection.
Year Round Free Yard Waste Disposal!
- Year round Residents may bring their yard waste to the Yard Waste & Recycling Center located at 25 Brixton Street, West Hartford.
Please see the Yard Waste & Recycling Center Page for more detailed information and hours of operation.
If you have questions or need additional information, please contact the Department of Public Works between 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM at 860-561-8100
Thank you for your environmental concern - and REMEMBER TO REDUCE, REUSE, AND RECYCLE; it's a first step towards a more sustainable world.