Jul 1, 2012 :
Yard Waste Disposal Permit takes effect July 1
New Yard Waste Disposal Permit takes effect July 1, 2012
As of July 1, 2012 all vehicles entering the Recycling Center (25 Brixton Street) will be required to display a fee based residential Yard Waste Disposal Permit.
Permits will be renewable annually on July 1st. permits may be purchased only at the Public Works office Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, 860-561-8100. Visit www.westhartford.org/publicworks for fees, rules and hours of operation.
Who is Eligible:
Only properties receiving West Hartford refuse collection services are allowed to use the Yard Waste Recycling Center. Permits are limited to West Hartford residential property owners only. The applicant must be the owner of property. Renters of single-family dwellings can acquire a permit if the property owner transfers eligibility to the tenant. Single-family rental properties may only have one permitted resident. Owner-occupied residents of 2- and 3-family dwellings. Only the owner of multi-family dwelling of 3 units or less or his designee will be eligible to acquire a permit assigned to the property.
Condominium residents at complex's that do not have a contractual landscaping service and are required, by Condo association by-laws, to maintain their individual unit's property may attain a permit.
Who is not eligible?
- Persons renting a residential apartment unit in a two-family dwelling or larger.
- Condominium owners or renters where commercial landscaping services are provide.
- No mixed use, retail or commercial properties allowed.
Type of material that is accepted free of charge:
- Used motor oil, used anti freeze - must be left in non - returnable containers.
- Automotive batteries
- Dirt , concrete , ceramic , rock and stones free of metal.
- Leaves delivered in bulk or 30 gallon biodegradable paper bags - no plastic bags accepted.
- Brush and logs no greater than 6 inches in diameter or 4 feet in length. All material greater than 6 inches in diameter is subject to commercial disposal fees.
- State mandated household recycling items collected at curbside including cardboard, boxboard, paper , plastics #'s 1 -7 , food glass and metal containers.
- Scrap metal - subject to dumpster availability.
Grass clipping are accepted for a fee.
The intended use of the Recycling Center is for the average generation of yard waste material as the result of routine yard maintenance.
Material available to residents free of charge at the Recycling Center:
- Leaf compost
- Sand, during winter months only.
Residents are required to load their own vehicles by hand.
For more information, click here.